St James Church, Pulloxhill
Pulloxhill is recorded in the Domesday Book as “Polochessle” being the manor held under one Nigel de Albini by Roger and Ruallan and assessed at 10 hides. By 1205 it had become Pollokeshill and all subsequent spellings are recognisable as being near to the present form.
The church of St James the Apostle is situated at the west end of the village, surrounded by a well kept graveyard including a neat war memorial as well as a memorial cremation plot. At the southern end of the church yard is a gift to mark the millennium, provided by the Parish Council, of a Wellingtonia tree, now quite small, but which in time will reach over 100 feet and be seen from a great distance.
The church consists of a tower, nave, chancel and very small vestry dating it, as it is now, to 1846 when rebuilding took place. The original church, dedicated in 1219, was largely destroyed in the 17th Century leaving only the chancel. This was adapted in the 18th Century and used until the 19thC when the current church took form. As a result the interior for the most part is plain Victorian with the exception of the chancel, where remains of the roof and window tracery are seen, dating back to the 14 and 15th centuries. The stained glass lights in the east window were installed in 1880. The chancel also contains a number of tablets and memorials of local interest, the most imposing commemorating Sir Williams Bryers, a Deputy Lieutenant of the Shire, twice High Sheriff and Justice of the Peace who died in 1653.
South of the chancel is a small brown-stained deal pulpit and on the opposite side is a modern lectern and Bible. Towards the entrance is a large square font decorated with recessed arches, standing on a plain square base covered with a wooden lid and on the wall at the rear is a list of all the incumbents from 1204 to the present day. Around the church are evidence of benefactions, large and small, from countless people who have worshipped in this church through the centuries. It does not claim to be a grand edifice but has a simple dignity as befits a village church.
Pulloxhill Church History